Monday, December 8, 2008

A Sunday Morning to Remember

My sister in law is officially gangster.

Here's the story:
My brother went out of town to visit some friends in Miami and my sis in law (sil) decided to stay home. Well, towards the end of my brother's little vakay, he decided that instead of returning home in the daylight, he would return home in the middle of the night (cause he knew she would be there alone). Soooo, he hopped in his car at 2:00ish am and started the road to home. Meanwhile, sil is sleeping soundly at home. As my brother gets close to the house (at around 5:30am), he calls her to let her know that he has arrived early. Amazingly, she is so sound asleep that she does not hear her cellular phone. He opens the garage, enters the house- which sets off the alarm. This immediately wakes up sil and she flies to the house phone and calls the police, informing them that someone has broken in. My brother turns off the alarm, but just as that occurs, sil opens the window setting off the alarm once again. He tries to reset it again; meanwhile his wife is still on the phone with the police crawling out onto the roof of the garage. She thinks for one moment assessing the situation, and then jumps the 7.5 to 8 feet to the ground below (feet landing in mulch, hands and face landing on sidewalk). She begins screaming at the top of her lungs, running at top speed to the neighbors unaware of her broken wrist, badly damaged elbow, and bloody nose (not broken thankfully). My brother, hearing the screams, rushes out of the house to let his fully distressed wife know that it is just him. Interestingly, the neighbors never come out, but sil hears my brother and immediately feels like an idiot. He panics at the sight of her bloodied face and hands and awkwardly positioned arm. He rushes her inside to clean her up as the police arrive to investigate what exactly happened. Following all this amazingness, my brother joins my sil in her feelings of idiocy due to her inquisition into why he did not call the house phone....

All and all, they both felt a little upset about the whole thing. I on the other hand laughed a bit thinking 'She did WHAT?!'. But in retrospect, if it had been an intruder, she did the very best thing.

All I know is that my sis in law is officially gangster.


So I got a little irritated with the job offer from Palm Beach. She wanted to know every little detail of the offer in Melbourne in efforts to match what they were presenting. The thing is, if I wanted the offer in Melbourne so badly, I WOULD HAVE TAKEN IT. She adjusted some of the elements to her original offer to match theirs... which I didn't entirely mind when it came to salary (there was a $13,000 salary difference), but for other aspects I was a bit let down. Because she's a newly formed company, she didn't have PTO... but she offered time and a half after 35 hours of work. I felt that kinda balanced things out a bit (because the other company was time and a half after 40 hours). She stated that we could negotiate PTO as soon as she had the details of how they did their PTO. She doesn't have a 401K, life insurance, or disability; but she is a growing company and offered me opportunities to develop my skills in multiple settings as well as growth within her company (for promotions and such). She stated she covered health and dental 100% (no cost on my part); but she still wanted to know the percentage they were pulling from my checks to match that (I guess cause of the salary difference- who knows). I am unsure of whether or not I should have informed her of their salary and relocation number- but because there was such a difference I put it out there to see what she would say. She became OBSESSED with knowing how they were doing it, wanting the written contract so that she could review it with a fine tooth comb. I told her I could not, and would not provide her the minute details... I just gave her the overview (which was listed on their website) and told her that truthfully, I hoped that she didn't attempt to try to offer the same as this nationwide company that had far more resources that she (because she would fail- which I did not say). I did say that I wanted her to offer me the best that SHE could offer me and let me compare the differences and what worked best for me. Truthfully, if they are both the same, she will not win and I wanted to tell her that, but I didn't. The perks she offered me BEFORE she became so consumed with knowing how they paid me so much in salary appealed to me just as much as the salary did for the larger company. *sigh*. She is getting back to me today with her formal offer. Hopefully she brings back some of those old perks and keeps true to what she can do rather than trying to match the other company, cause at the end of the day, if their offer was what I wanted, I would have taken it already and no longer entertained her.

PS. Me and the boyfriend had a talk. He admitted to not being himself, trying desperately to make me happy (which makes me miserable) and not staying true to himself. I told he that label really ruined us and it needed some adjusting so that he would stop feeling so pressured to treat me the way he did. He agreed. So...no label, but still working things out to get back there.

6 comments:

Rashan Jamal said...

Glad they don't have a gun in the house, or things could have been worse.

No 401K plan? Not good, but at least health insurance is covered. If you take that one, I would encourage you to look into an IRA or something to start saving for retirement. Good luck with your decision making.

Jazzy said...

wow! I'm wondering why he didn't call the house phone too though, but glad to hear she is OK.

Experience has taught me to stay away from those small companies. They expect you to do twice as much for half as much...but they don't tell you that in the beginning. I'd also get something in writing about that health coverage. I've worked for top corporations and they have NEVER covered 100% dental. They cover 100% of SOME things (the cheap stuff like cleanings and x-rays), but never of all things. And not having a 401K (with some sort of company match) is a huge negative, so choose wisely.

dejanae said...

damn
sil was not playin
lollll

Darius T. Williams said...

Yup - your sister is officially gangster!

And about that job offer - I despise smaller companies like that. I mean, they're good for some things - and they're horrible for others.

One Man’s Opinion said...

Wow, two post in one.......I'm trying to decide if what your sister in law did can be classified a gansta! The story kind of bothered me, for some reason.

I loving the job oppurtunity for you and I am glad you and your boy are trying to work things out.

Desy said...

Rah- The guy who splinted her told a story about a guy who got blown away by his dad accidentally - and educated us on the dangers of guns

I already have a 401K from my current job (which I'll still be employed with when I go down south- it's on call so I can work there whenever)

Diva- There are A LOT of private clinics for within my profession. It's nothing abnormal or concerning.. Privately owned companies offer better clinical experience because of the variety and helps with educational development… I just wish she wasn't so eager to be like the big dogs… I think my email clarified things though

Dej- she's my representation for sure…lol

Darius- I think I have to go through it a bit before I can truly determine what's up; but I'm not THAT concerned about the privately own clinic too much…

One- the double up was just for you…lol~ the story kinda threw me, but it's what I deal with…lol; thanks One on both accounts