Monday, January 28, 2008

Given it up...




The vid has nothing to do with the post, but I really like this one... Hope you enjoy!

I never understood or will ever understand the need to give up (sacrifice) for Lent. I don't get it. I know everyone and their cousin tells me that it's a representation... but my question is; of what? Does God really sit there and say "That's wonderful my child. Each year you maintained a state of abnegation therefore proving your loyalty to me. For this, I am entirely grateful." Now why don't I see that happening, especially if throughout the midst of this symbolic buffonary, I am still partaking in debauchery that can only be described as "Really? You're doing that?" I just don't see why it matters so. Part of me believes it is to satisfy peers. In a sense, you are proving to the person next to you that you are just as dedicated to the word as (s)he is and you are putting your actions where your mouth is. But me being as self absorbed as I am comes to the logical thinking of ~ why should I care about what you think? This is between me and my God. Never have I ever felt during deep prayer that the removal of something (trivial) will do anything to strengthen my relationship with the Most High, nor have I ever felt that if I didn't engross myself in the traditions of Lent would I be cast aside from the kingdom. So why does it continue? Why is it so important to PROVE love and loyalty to Him through this kind of ritual? I mean, maybe if it was an adjustment made for the rest of your life, I could understand it a little more (like those who refrain from the consumption of PIG and all it's products), but Lent feels like a fad and who cares about those. I don't know... It's just a thought that I was thinking, and now I'm done...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

random video choice...but good nonetheless...and btw, "I am one who buries my meaning in my lines and if lucky enough, you will find….yourself" <--- i LOVE that line!!

Rashan Jamal said...

abnegation? adding immediately to my vocabulary. I've never understood it either, but I remember as a kid, we had to give stuff up. One year, I gave up strawberry milk or something trivial like that. I guess if it helps people to have faith, I can't knock it.

Don said...

I understand where you're coming from. At times, I feel the same way. Those are the times when everything around me appear meaningless. Especially the drama. And the usual forced guilt which results from the drama.

People hate when I say, "I think God understands me better."

I wasn't able to watch the video. On a phone. But I think i've seen it before if it's the one with the two girls cursing about their ethnicity?

Desy said...

@1980- yeah, i just wanted to show that we are not the only folk that rant and rave about race...lol. And thank you for the compliment..

@RJ- yeah, you're the person who needs to add more words to your mental dictionary...lol. I don't know how many times I've looked things up reading your blog...haha

@don- yeah, it is. You must've watch the whole series. I'm proud- a fellow lover of deep shit...lol

and I just might have to take hold of that line to see how it rubs those around me...

James Tubman said...

the best way to prove love to the creator is to serve others

that's why he put on this earth

and God has so many things to think about other than your little sin that didn't hurt anybody

people shouldn't be that arrogant

Desy said...

i agree tubman... people are so interested in My relationship with HIM.. worry about yours... please... cause truthfully... I got this...lol