Saturday, January 26, 2008

That nigga I call my friend



I was in the blogosphere today, reading, thinking, and actually commenting for once... Usually I am just on that intake tip, but I guess it's time to do some real output... Thus a moment of reminiscing.

"What?" I knew what he was gonna say, but I had that facial that dared him to actually say it.
"Who the hell was that?" I only responded with a shrug
"Oh, you're not gonna tell me?" I just looked at him.

"I'm confused. Didn't you tell me that you didn't want nothing from me since you couldn't lay pipe? Why are you getting upset?" Me, continuing to avoid the answer threw out a question that I knew he wasn't ready to answer.

"You're avoiding the answer." Damn. That's why I liked him so much. He could see into me in a way that few did. It really got on my nerves though... Especially in moments like these.

"He's a friend"
"Like I'm a friend?"
"No, he's a different kind of friend"
"What kind of friend is that?"
"An old friend."
"A friend that you had something with?"
"Why is that any of your business?"
"Because I'm makin it so"
"Why?"
Silence

It was around 11:45pm and I ran into him coming out of the movies with my homeboy from high school. See, me and my homeboy are real affectionate and showed each other love on all kinds of levels, from holding hands, to deep hugs, and even from time to time, real kisses (not those ones shared by siblings). That relationship, however, had never escalated into anything more... for many many reasons. Fortunately, our honesty with one another made our friendship stick, even with distance and opposing schedules. But the 'right now' in my saga of men had come across me in a spine twisting laughing fit caused by my homeboy right as we were leaving and he was entering the theatre. He caught my eye, and I just waved thinking nothing of it... Until I saw his expression. It was raw and out in the open, which I definately did NOT expect. My homeboy, seeing this exchange, gave me a kiss (on the cheek) and a hug telling me he would call me later, knowing that I would probably want to talk. As he walked off, 'right now' made his way over to where I was standing.

I took a deep breath
"Look, I told you from jump what the situation was with me. You told me that you couldn't handle it and I understood. Half the time, most guys walk away the moment they hear my status, but you... you stuck around even though you knew you weren't gonna get any because you felt that you would be cool bein my friend.
Then we kissed... I knew that I shouldn't have put you in that situation, but I am a human being and I'm single and I do what I want for the most part. And honestly, you put yourself in that position and you accepted it without any complaints. But you maintained your stance on not wanting anything more than a friendship. So we're friends, and as friends, you saw me out with another guy. It doesn't matter who that was. Who do YOU really want to be to me is the real question?"

I was met with silence.

"Look, he's a friend that I've had for a very long time. We are just friends. This is far more than you deserve, but I told you I would never front, lie, or hide. So you asked and I'm tellin."

I began walking away cause I was essentially done with this situation.

"I'm officially confused."

I stopped, turned and looked at him. He had a facial that I didn''t quite understand.

"Confused about what?"
"About what I'm feelin."

I shrugged.

"Figure it out and get back to me."

I've dealt with one male situation after another and I can honestly say, that was the most honest any man has ever been with me. But I think that was only possible because he was really self aware and understood his motives very well. For whatever reason, most men don't really self reflect enough to fully understand what they want or don't want clear enough to explain it to someone else. Unfortunately, he never really got it together... In the end, he just went through the motions until he found a woman he could understand himself with. I don't really talk to him anymore... but I sometimes wonder about what would have happened if I had given in on the decision to maintain that sex free status. I actually think about that every time a situation with a guy goes sour...

What is better? I don't know if I'll ever know... I've been essentially single for 23 years, and I'm no closer to knowing if what I'm doing is the Right thing than when I first made it back in high school.

"Stay until you are in love- then move like you have never moved before"- I have yet to do so...

4 comments:

Don said...

The real questions are always the most diffucult to answer, huh? You did right to remain sex free. Sex complicates things.

Dana Gilmore is the truth. She pretty much broke it down in a way where a woman can't say she didn't know.

Love is a mugg. Stay single.

Desy said...

:sigh: some days are easier to feel that way than others... but for the most part, staying single usually wins out...lol.. my friends' twisted love lives always assists in that resolve..

Definately respected where DG came from with that... Sometimes I feel envious of those folk that go through it cause of the beauty that comes from it... I love that poem

Rashan Jamal said...

First of all, I like the new profile picture... you look all vibrant and stuff.

Us men are often confused about what we want. You just maintain your own principles and you'll be fine. Some one will get it together one day.

Desy said...

Awww, thank you RJ- I did that just for you... (stroking the immense ego of Mr. Rashan Jamal who CLEARLY does not need it...lol)

I know that I won't find that man here that's for sure. Orlando is the capitol of interracial dating and unfortunately, the strong black educated woman was left out of that equation...