Monday, February 11, 2008

Better Late then Never?

So I've been recouping from Friday's birthday excursion. On top of that I've been takin care of my sore feet by forcibly doing yard work and self inflicted house chores that MUST be done. Now that I have some time, I'll break down the day.

Friday- Work to Mall

I got to work in the best mood cause I knew that my supervisor wasn't gonna be there, which is a birthday gift in itself. She is a woman that gets on my nerves cause she does things like calls me at 5:40 pm on Thurs (my day off) to inform me that she is taking a personal day on Friday when she knew this information early Wednesday (when I was at work) but didn't say a word. Who does that?

But anyway, I planned on getting out of work at 4, stopping by the mall for about 45min to shop for a nice bday outfit and then if time allowed, take a quick nap. And of course, it didn't work out that way, because I planned it like that. For whatever reason, my birthday time table is never as effective as my everyday time table. I end up leaving work around 4:45ish, which means I'm gonna hit a bit of traffic on my way home. Luckily, there is a mall right next door to my house, so I make a quick descision to switch malls and just hit the one up that's closer.

Mall to House

I get to the mall around 5, 5:15ish in my mind thinking I have about 30 min or so to shop and then I need to dash home and start getting ready. I walk around a little and finally make a decision- Since I'm going in my authentic fro (which puts Erykah B's wig to shame...lol) I decide to go with a more clean earthy look- deep greens accented by prestine white. I even get a flower for the hair. As I look down at my phone I realize that it's approaching 6... Oh shyt- what time did I tell these people to meet me downtown? 6:30... Fuck, that means I am suppose to be leaving my house in, ummm oh- idon'tknow- 15minutes or so. I'm gonna be late (and I HATE being late). So I get the accessories and I rush out of the mall thinking that maybe it doesn't matter cause my friends will be late...right?

Home

I just in the shower, and I keep hearing my phone going off. I pay it no mind and I cleanse in record fashion. As I'm throwing on articles of clothing (post tag extirpation), I'm glancing at my bedroom clock hoping that it's not really say 6:07 and that I'm imagining that I only have 5 minutes before I need to leave for downtown. My phone is still going nuts and I wonder to myself 'Why are You always the coordinator for your own shyt- Now you cant even get ready in peace cause people what to know where you are, what are you doing, when are you leaving, are you there yet, and every other annoying question that means nothing'. I shake of the smart remarks that are jumping to mind and reply to all of my willing participants, informing them all that I would be there soon and that they should all start heading to the bar... I do a final glance at myself; face-flawless appearance; hair- extr-afro with that white flower touch; fit-WORD; heels-the inflictors of future torcher, but worth every moment cause they are cute. I grab my phone knowing that I would have to stop by the ATM to pull out cash (which will suck up some time) cause I would have to give in to Orlando Tolls to be there at a decent time. I glance back at my room clock- 6:24.

On the road

Thankfully, everything is near my house. I stop by the Publix that has a free ATM right outside and pull out some cash. Next, I pull out the plaza and hop onto the toll road which is RIGHT there. I blast my music and start to relax- Even though I know I'm gonna be late, I'm sure I'll still be the first. I look down at my phone and I see a message from my homeboy

Where you at? I'm here sipping on my first 3 for 1 in your honor- cause you know I don't drink. PS, I got your gift here with me.
I'll be there in about 15 minutes (traffic willing)
How you gonna miss my first drink?
Sip it slow and I won't
I don't know about you, but suckin slow is not my thing so get your ass here
LOL-Fuck you- I'll be there

Next- my brother calls me around 6:50ish; A couple of friends from school that are riding in the same care and need directions, 6:52; Couple other homeboys 6:53; My aunt (who I rarely speak to) 6:57; A close family friend 6:58; My cuzin (no blood relation) 7:02.

I officially hate my phone.

Finally, I park and I direct my brother to where I am. He gives me my gift and we finally get ourselves to the club

Happy Hour

DAMN! WHY IS IT SO CROWDED!
I DON'T KNOW? IT WAS LIKE THAT WHEN I GOT HERE!
YOU FEELING UNCOMFORTABLE?!

He looks around at the surrounding mostly white population

OH NO! THIS IS EXACTLY THE KIND OF CROWD I LOVE TO BE AROUND!

Accompanied by a sarcastic grin.

I'd finally made it and caught up with my homeboy that was already inside the club. There were wall to wall people (predominantly white) which was not what I had expected. I had been to happy hour a few times with my brother and I don't ever remember it being quite so jam packed. There were MAAAAYBE 5 black men in the whole bunch- ALL rubbed up on some vanilla flesh that I couldn't help but shake my head at. I hear a chuckle from my homeboy and I guess my face told him the story of how I felt about this being the norm of this city. Don't get me twisted; I don't care about interracial dating; I mean CLEARLY- my brother married a wonderful light skinned Indian woman who I luuuuv....

But do ALL brothas in Orlando need to date everything but black women... But I digress... This post is getting extra long, so I'm gonna have to do like those blog veterans and give it to you in parts...Until then....

10 comments:

Jazzy said...

Even though I do these cliffhangers at least once a week (you can blame Rashan since I get it from him), I am so mad at you! LOL!!

Loved the blow by blow and can't wait to hear the rest.

Rich Fitzgerald said...

What's up home girl. I'm originally from Jacksonville. Graduated from the Univ. of FL and came doggone close to living in Orlando after graduating.

Just thought I'd make a proper introduction.

Unknown said...

well part 2 better include some pics!! I wanna see that 'fro. I love that natural look!!

Rashan Jamal said...

Seriously? You gonna do a cliffhanger? It's like that? And I see your family pics, but where's the big afro pictures? Hmm?

Jameil said...

i like! :) can't wait to hear the rest. and i knoooooow rashan's not talking.

Desy said...

@Opinionated- I'm probably gonna get to it tonight during class...lol; don't want to keep you waiting...

@rich- thanks for the detailed intro.. it is always appreciated (ps i enjoyed your last post

@1980- how bout i supplement party pics for just pics with the fro? I didn't take a camera with me that night since i didn't want any incriminating evidence...lol

@Rah-I learn from the best (I wonder who that could be???? lol)

@jameil- i thought the same thing when i saw that comment..hahaha

Eb the Celeb said...

girl it aint just Orlando... its everywhere... ya brother and his girl do make a cute couple though

Desy said...

@eb- noooooooooooooooooooo!...lol; and i thought it was just here- now what? dating white men...i don't think i can go that far; maybe latinos is the way to go...lol

BloggersDelight said...

Thank you for taking time to visit our corner of the blog-world and leave a comment. You have been added to our blog-roll.

jinni said...

Nice blog.And about interracial dating,I guess its the same ole case of jungle fever.plus white gals can be nicer than black gals.check out mz blog:
http://jinni-musingsofalostsoul.blogspot.com/