Sunday, February 3, 2008

I love being Haitian




I love this video-

As I get older, I appreciate being Haitian more and more. When I was a kid- you know, way back in the 90s...lol- being Haitian was just not what one should be. Being teased mercilessly would be the result of such a revelation; thus I never talked about it. I probably even lied about it. Self preservation leads to absurdity-coupling being Haitian with the fact that I had big chapped lips and natural hair (that was done OH-so stylishly I might add) would have been elementary school social suicide. So I did what I had to, and I made it through. In middle school, no one really cared about what kind of black I was since I was one of few in that school anyway. So being Haitian didn't really matter. When I entered high school, I began growing into my own and being Haitian didn't really have the same connotations that it once had. In fact, I got so SICK of 'sak passe' that I started to teach people other phrases, just so that I didn't have to hear it anymore. It didn't really work- cause creole aint a language to play with...lol.

I've gotten so appreciative of my Haitian roots through being at UCF when being Caribbean was normal and just being Black wasn't (or at least in the circle I ran in). Of course, even with a culturally enlightened population, I still heard things like 'You don't look Haitian', or 'You don't have an accent'. I just chalk it up to- 'Your dumb' and I would keep it moving. But I had some of my most amazing times with those people, enjoying conversations in my native tongue with people who weren't my parents; dancing Kompa and going to ball (pronounced Bah-ll, not b-all); and truly embracing my culture. And there is NOTHING like a plate filled with my favorite traditional Haitian cuisines.


Plus- you can only create a man like the one in the vid in Haiti...lol

So- I'll take a poll, do I look Haitian...?



I should, cause I AM...lol

Pic 1- me on a cruise
Pic 2- me on my 22nd bday
Pic 3- a moment in the sun drinkin it all up
Pic 4- me and my homie tryin to get our camera ready face goin...lol

26 comments:

Don said...

When I lived in Orlando there were alot of haitians living in the area we lived in.

None looked like you.

Don said...

^^compliment


Funny video.



~2

Rashan Jamal said...

Did you get that video yet? LOL.

I don't know what a Haitian is supposed to look like, so I'll just take your word for it. I will say you don't look like the Haitians I knew when I lived in NY.

Sak passe? That means what's up, right? And that video? All I can say is wow!

Desy said...

Why thank you Don- I must say, i like being unique

lmao@Rah- not as of yet, but maybe i'll start a countdown

that's why i love that video... it makes people speechless

Eb the Celeb said...

Cute pics1

Desy said...

thanx eb

Don said...

@ desy: Both of your parents are Haitian? What about your friend in the picture?

~7

Desy said...

yeah, they are- she's Jamaican

why? you need a caribbean girl in your life?....lol

Don said...

I was trying to see why you didn't favor the haitians I am familiar with. But then again, no one race looks completely alike.

Your poem was soft. I haven't had a chance to sit and give a real reply to it. What time do you get off?

~9

Desy said...

what does soft mean? is that a good thing or a bad..

in about an hour and a half or so... (4:30)

Don said...

Soft, as in touching.

Desy said...

o- thanx.. i always like responding to poetry that i find thought provoking....

Jazzy said...

I remember me and friends being teenagers in love with Ralph Tresvant. Then someone said he was Haitian and nobody liked him as much anymore...lol - I didn't get it back then and I still don't get why that was a big deal.

Black Rice w/ green peas. It might have a different name, but that's some good ish!

Desy said...

See diva- you already know...lol...
Tha's that hottness when it comes to my people's food

don't forget the fried plantains, fried beef and a pepper addition pronounced pee-klees... simply DA BOMB

Jameil said...

i don't know anything about haitians. i'm not from florida or ny. lol. (was that wrong?) the south is not diverse. my fave haitian band... (the only one i know)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lE7vJ9ia4k

when i went to s. fla i had plantains, and conch in little haiti and was in HEAVEN!!

James Tubman said...

yes you look hatian

many of them escaped the miscegenation of the white man and thus kept their original africoid features

and their they are in all of their beauty right these on your beautiful face

you should proud of your heritage because that little island of hatians and their inhabitants ran the white man out of their country and won their independence

the first Black republic in the western world

what an accomplishment!!!!!

Desy said...

ps tub- the movie on Toussaint is coming... where will you be

Desy said...

damn jameil- turning me on to a haitian band- you've earned 20 points...lol

Rich Fitzgerald said...

I dated a couple of Haitian chicks when I was in college. Neither looked Haitian, they look like sistahs, just like you. If not for the last names (Valdez and Rigaud) you would be none the wiser.

Rich Fitzgerald said...

I lied, you do look Haitian. You can tell you aren't African-American. It's something about your bone structure.

dejanae said...

girl
tell me why i posted that vid on my blog too
that was too hilarious
oh how i love my haitian people
but i remember being teased about it
the whole time im thinkin
"ur black too. we supposed to stick together."
lol
they wasnt tryna hear alladat

Desy said...

haha- definately not dej

oh well; now they are all walkin around sayin 'sak passe'- people confuse me...lol

UnNaked Soul said...

OMG! you're cute. If you become my friend, you'll be my first Haitian contact... *wink*

enjoy ur weekend!

swag_ambassador said...

pretty haitain girl..those lips... :)

I've neva encountered a haitain girl bein that I'm on the west coast.. and we don't have much more then eritreans when it comes to unique races..but u are a purtiful(my own word) gurl

Anonymous said...

I think you look like a haitien. You are very pretty. When I walk down the street in Port au Prince, I look like a "blan". haha

DvineDzine said...

I say if you are Haitian, then you look Haitian. *smile* Nice pics hun and continue to embrace the person you were created to be. Beauty is beauty in any culture just like a mud duck is a mud duck lol It's so funny, because the first phrase I've seen to be a creole phrase was sak passe, lmao I thought I was doing something! Anyone wanna enlighten me?