Sunday, February 24, 2008

I am not my hair

I want an explanation.

In my short life, I have changed my hair a million times. Never chemically; only just in the ways of appearance. I don't have the A) discipline to maintain a chemical adjustment & B) the desire to change myself fundamentally to be something I wasn't already born as (physically). Truly- I have been the same since I crossed over the threshold of my mother's sacred place- No piercings (not even my ears), no tattoos, and no relaxer.

There was a time when smooth, silk, manageable hair was all I desired (when I first began doing my hair at 10, spending hours to smooth it out...lol). I could never bring myself to beg my father because he never tolerated that kind of behavior and I knew that I would probably get in trouble if I began. 'You ask- I say no- you move on' was more the philosophy that he raised his children to accept. But from time to time, in middle and high school; I would've given my right foot just to have a fresh perm... But no such thing for me. Hell- the first time I wore makeup was to my senior prom. All that superficial stuff was just not on my father's 'what to teach your daughter throughout her life' handbook that he had to create or borrowed when my mom passed. Instead- I was pushed to decorate my mind... with books and knowledge and exercise.

Thus, I lack things like the desire to have that Guc.ci purse, or that P.rada shoe (although, I do like a nice shoe- I just won't spend P.rada money for it).

I will say- I am obsessed with change when it comes to my appearance. It has nothing to do with anything- it's not to follow the trend, or to look better, or anything of the sort. I just like to be different- within a week's time span. The inspiration for this blog actually came when hanging out with a friend and going through old photos and realizing that I have a different hair style in absolutely every event. To me- I treat hair just like any other accessory.. and change it just a frequently. Interesting- men react differently to each hair style I have.

Afro- attracts that earthy brotha who is all about naturalness and authenticity, or has that rasta mental; also attracts that caribbean man who misses what home had to offer. Lastly (and oddly), older white men ADORE the fro. It really fascinates me- there is just this look that they have on their face(s) I can't put my finger on to explain...



Long flow- the every day brotha. Basically, these are the black men that I come across on a daily basis. They know for a fact that this hair does not grow out of my head, but could not care less. There is just something about long hair that makes the every day brotha stare and trip...



Braids- thug life. It never fails. Whenever I get braids, I find myself in a world filled with thugged out brothas that wanna get to know me. What the hell is it? Do I look hood with braids? I don't understand



Short curl (my personal fav)- mr.poetic. There is something about curly hair that makes a man break out in rhyme. After a few days, my curl status changes- thus capri sun (scroll down to the pics) but even that is appreciated. I like poetic brothas tho- cause at the end of the day- they could not care less about hair

But I still don't completely understand it. And I say completely because there are certain styles that men have that I appreciate- like dreads, and the bald gloss...lol. But honestly, your hairstyle isn't what's gonna attract me to you. But I think for men it's different because as I said, with every hairstyle, there is a different man to go with it...


I'm so confused... Oh well- I'll let the sounds of Ind.ia soothe me

20 comments:

guerreiranigeriana said...

nice post...as much as we think our hair means nothing, it does...we have attached so many things to it...you wear natural so folks thinks you must be earthy crunchy, soul girl...perm/relaxed-oh you think you want to be white/HIGH-MAINTENANCE/high-class lady...and on and on...its interesting...and varies wherever you go...in naija, women were looking at me like i was crazy because i wanted to braid my hair without first relaxing my natural hair...

...yeah, white older dudes love afros!!!...not from personal experience but from what my lil sis has told me...he manipulates her hair a lot too...nice post...

Rashan Jamal said...

Which one do you think I would like best based on reading my blog?

You really do look different in each picture.

Its not that difficult to figure out about the hair. Men like hair b/c it accentuates the femininity. Its as simple as that.

Thanks for the pics!

Unknown said...

I love the 'fro!! Hair is a deep rooted issue for black women. Personally I prefer the natural look.

Jameil said...

dudes and hair man. dudes and hair. they are so crazy about it. the dudes i attract with my twists... sigh. just about everyone. and most wanna touch. only the cute ones.

No piercings?! wow! i love earrings.

flawsandall said...

aww such a cutie

I have braids now and its giving me so much attention...My hair is permed and really long..when I take of my braids, I want to go natural but its looking quite daunting since I have such length of relaxed hair...I amm really craving a curly fro look for spring..I guess I I'll just get a weave for that one

Don said...

Cute post, desy. Cute pics.

I don't have any hang ups with the kind of hairstyle a female wears or doesn't wear. But by your standards I am thuggish, cause I was instantly drawn to the picture of you sporting the braids.

In the end, India.Arie said it best: you are not your hair.

Sidebar: some people gave you compliments on the poem you posted.

who? said...

ha. I like the curls the best... yes I am a poetic dude... but you certainly look good in all of your hairstyles...

The Cannon formerly known as Caesar

Jazzy said...

Great pics! I have to say, I love the versatility of our hair. We can go from curly, to relaxed, to braided, to WHATEVA!

I remember having really long hair (middle of my back) and then cutting it super short into layers...I swear my boyfriend shed some tears over that. You'd think I had cut a limb. It's not that serious.

t.r.b said...

oh my God, your hair in that first picture is beautiful!!!!

Eb the Celeb said...

you have definitely went threw several styles but what person hasnt... That's what I love most about black hair... you can have an afro 1 minute, braids, the next, and a perm the next, or better yet a weave.. white people could never switch their swag as much as we do.

James Tubman said...

you have nice hair

love you in the fro and curls

maybe you can teach some other women out there how to appreciate their natural hair

Desy said...

@guerreirangeriana <---- i just had to type out the whole thing... you are absolutely right about the hair stereotypes... I'm so interchangeable tho depending on the setting- i guess i make sure my hair can do the same..lol

@rah- i would say you are an o-natural kind of guy; simplicity seems to be your preference (and natural beauty)

@1980- thanx... that fro is always giving me trouble and gettin in my way...lol- but it's mine and i love it

@j- yeah, everyone asks me if i'm takin after O and doing it in my forties... I don't know when i'll do it, but until the mood strikes- i'll be adorned only by my hair..lol

@zephi- don't get it twisted, natural hair is not easier that relaxed- you gotta put time in it, but honestly, a large/long fro would be DOPE! maybe i'll get there one day

@don- i definately wouldn't classify you as a thug based on your blog... but if the braids are what you like...then maybe there is a side to you I am missing...lol

@adonis- what a name change by the way....lol; thanx for the compliment- i figured the curly hair would appeal to you...

@diva- lmao at the tearful boyfriend... they are more attached then we are... such a shame

@eb- too true- ironically, all those styles were within a years time (probably a couple months if I really think about it)

@jt- there is just something about a salon that i have never grown used to.. (even though there was a time my father was a barber and we hung out there for hours on end); I just like knowing that I don't have to rely on anyone else to accomplish something with my hair... thus- my fro..hahaha

Desy said...

guerreiranigeriana (ok- now I did it right)...lol

dejanae said...

girl u musta been chanelling my experiences when u wrote this one

"Afro- attracts that earthy brotha who is all about naturalness and authenticity, or has that rasta mental; also attracts that caribbean man who misses what home had to offer. Lastly (and oddly), older white men ADORE the fro. It really fascinates me- there is just this look that they have on their face(s) I can't put my finger on to explain... "

Anonymous said...

All gorgeous!

Jinta said...

female hair i like depend on my mood, however, i think it is safe to say the shorter the hair is, the beta i like it

jinni said...

I love it when a lady carries her hair natural.There is something sexy,comfortable and reassuring about a lady with afro,braids or locks.Natural hair signifies innocence,beauty,trustworthiness.
What I dont like is a woman(esp a black woman`)wearing wigs and weavon.It signifies a whore,streetwise and sleazy personality,fake and someone you cant trust.Holla at me:
http://jinni-musingsofalostsoul.blogspot.com/

jinni said...

OH,LOVVVE the pics.U so cute,lol

Desy said...

@dej- lol, I know you can relate; seein what you're workin wit over there

@b mo- thank you

@jinta- well... is that a suggestion that i should cut it??

@jinni- i don't know if i entirely agree with everything you said in regards to weavon's and wigs cause i don't think of it that seriously, but that is definately and interesting stand on it.

OH- thank you...

Brittany said...

I am borderline obsessed with my hair. I only trust one person with it. Hair issues!! lol