Thursday, February 7, 2008

I share a birthday with Gary Coleman- WTF?!

Scroll down to the third face and you'll get the full feel of my response when I found this bit of information out.

Soooo, I'm turning 24 in about 3 hours and 20 minutes and I am EX CI TED. Excited in that back in the day when I was young kinda way <---- love that skit.

When I was a kid, I remember having only one- that's right count it- one birthday celebration. It consisted of my step-mom making me all my favorite haitian dishes set atop a DECKED out table that was overly decorated being that I was turning eight. I mean, they had the good china, some candles, a centerpiece (that i think was plastic flowers, but still) and even champagne- did I mention that I was eight? Cause I was eight...lol. But la piece de resistance- THE CAKE... holy heaven. It was the best thing I had ever tasted in my short life and i thanked my step mom hard core for it (later coming into the knowledge that the cake was store bought did nothing to change my admiration- cause she chose a BOMB azz cake...lol)

Otherwise, my birthdays were met with mild recognition and within my teen years, every now and then my dad broke me off with a card and chill gift. But no celebration. I don't know if I feel bad about that though. Some people feel envious of their peers and having huge parties and all that, but because I am my father's daughter, I just kept thinking about how much the clean up process would suck. And I would have to be the one cause I don't know anyone (or very few) who'd volunteer to assist in the clean up process of a party. Some people will assist-against their will... and others will assist-cause they haven't left yet so might as well. But as I got older, I started wanting to have that 'all eyes on me' moment- minus the clean up.

When I turned 18, I went to Universal with friends; and it was BANAZ
19- worked
20- Birthday basketball- I had a tournament with a bunch of my friends at the local Y... another BANAZ moment
21-Birthday dinner with dad- I was honored that he did that cause my dad HATES eating out
22- Birthday dinner with friends, brudder with wife, cousin and extras that I did not invite (who I'm still wonder why they were there...lol), then a club endeavor that was...just alright
23- drunkin night with my home girl

and now 24 shall be another celebration of fun times with friends and fam (just brudder- but good enough for me) with a mixture of happy hour and bowling (I wonder if that will help my bowling score...haha). I may blog about it (whatever I remember- side comment: I am ASTOUNDING, AMAZING, FLABBERGASTED, and every other thesaurus variant of that feeling at those bloggers out there that can report their drunkin endeavors with dialogue included. This is a moment to offer you all a standing O and kudos, especially Diva for her recent addition)

Now facts about my birthday that i discovered which left me going "Really??"

1910 - The Boy Scouts of America became incorporated

1922 - President Warren Harding had the White House’s first radio installed.

1924 - Nevada became the first state to use gas as a means of execution. The state executed Gee Jon for murder.1926 - Today was the day that Walt Disney Studios was officially formed.


1936 - The first ever National Football League draft was today. The Philadelphia Eagles selected Jay Berwanger as the first pick.

1974 - The comedy “Good Times” debuted. The sitcom starred Jimmy Walker and Esther Rolle and lasted 5 seasons.

1992 - “I’m Too Sexy” by Right Said Fred (No. 1 on the charts)

And last but not least Born on my B-Day

Gary Coleman, who starred on TV’s “Different Strokes” was born in 1968... Well...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Gary!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Champagne at 8 years old?!! Damn...lol Well Happy Birthday to you and Gary Coleman!! 7 more days for me.

Rashan Jamal said...

Happy Birthday!!! I guess my invitation got lost in the mail. Hope you have a drunken story to tell us afterwards. Oh yeah, and drunken pictures... definitely drunken pictures. LOL

Jameil said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!! i do that ice cream dance every time i eat some good food. "i have a burrrgerrr it is so gooood." lol. too funny. i loooooove birthdays!! yay!! blog all about it!!

Jazzy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Man I love parties with caribbean people. It's supposed to be for the kids, but when the sun goes down the grown folk party all night long! I am so not surprised at knowing you had champagne at your 8 yr old birthday party! lol

Thnx for the shout out...like Rashan, I'm looking forward to a drunken story (in your case a tipsy one! lol) and the pics!

What ever your doing today, hope you are enjoying it to the fullest!

Don said...

Happy Birthday, Desy. Hope you enjoy this even more than the others. You have a great memory, I see.

Gary Coleman is the bomb. The little version of him, anyways.

Enjoy yourself. I know you will.


~5

James Tubman said...

you are one day away from my baby sister and god do you act like her

it's cool though just have a nce birthday and if you ever want to know what happens when a woman drinks too much go check out op d's story about atlanta

every black woman in the world should read that lol

Jazzy said...

LOL!!

Shuddup Tubby!

Desy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Desy said...

@1980- I want a detailed summary of your big day- Happy Early B-day aquarian

@Sorry Rah- I banned photos; didn't want to be captured in my altered state

@jameil- I'll be postin something tonight.. I've just been recouping..lol

@diva- my night report will DEFINATELY not compare to your drunken escapades, but i hope you get some kicks out of my break down

@don- thanx for the well wishes. i had a great time

@tub- haha, i gave her a shout out in the post cause i knew the importance of her story and the need for it to be spread across the world..lol

act like your sis? how do i do that?

James Tubman said...

because you are very outspoken

vulger and sweet sometimes