Saturday, July 26, 2008

My first time

Let me start off by saying thank you bunches for all the advice (especially Jameil)... I ended up deciding to work Mon and Wed so that I can keep making the extra change for two more weeks. Ok- on to the post...

I have been feeling a bit lonely recently....Part of it is within my own head, but part of it is me feeling a little disjointed. I have no circle of friends and it's made things a little bit up in down in my social environment making me feel a bit insecure. This led me to last night. I really wanted to go downtown, but I had no one to go with. People were either out of town, not picking up, or just didn't want to go. I always speak out about being independent and comfortable with doing things on my own (going to dinner, movies, etc), however I felt a bit uncomfortable going downtown alone so I started to feel low, cause I really wanted to go dancing. Needed to go dancing. In conjunction with some adult beverage that was mixed by someone attractive. But didn't want to go at it alone. I went back and forth for a bit on the subject, not knowing how the night would turn out. I thought about starting a book, but I know me and books and I have a tendency not to put them down until I finish them and I need to study for my final on Tues. Then I considered renting a movie, but that would not alleviate my desire to go dancing. I tried a few people that I don't really consider friends to see if they were available to no avail. So... in true fashion, I said 'fuck it, I'm going at it alone.'

I got ready, pulling my hair back tightly in a cascading waterfall of braids and applying flawless makeup. I wore a white tube top that was a bit sporty and some midnight blue jeans that hugged in the right places. I gazed at myself in the mirror for a bit, smiled, sprayed some Gardinia across my exposed shoulders and ducked out. I called a friend and we sat speaking on the phone until I reached downtown and I ended up sitting on the phone for about 45min chatting. Finally I made my move to the bar I usually go to and walked in. Walking in on the second floor to the cool air, the dark atmosphere, the smell of the fog machines, and the music made me smile from ear to ear. I was here... alone... and I kinda liked it. Because in alot of ways, I am alone... but I hold myself back from doing things alone because...maybe I'm scared... But last night was a mild stepping stone to breaking that mentality. I mean, in general, not specifically to the club scene.

I bought a drink and ended up seeing some people I had met a few weeks prior with another friend of mine who had known them for years. I ended up spending the entire evening with them and had the most outstanding time. It really was amazing being a part of their world for a bit. Having a group of people that you hang out with and spend your time with regularly... comfortably... religiously... that you share your life with... It was a great thing to be exposed to and to see the love they had for each other and lended to me was just... it was great. Supposedly I was inducted to 'the crew', but who knows if drunkly spoken words have any weight. All I know is that whatever happens, I am becoming more and more comfortable going at it alone...

17 comments:

Jameil said...

AHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH!! I'm gonna have to get re-used to not going out alone now that I'm going back to school. I think I may hole up in my place just to re-live those blessed moments. Lol.

n0days0ff said...

sometimes i go walking by myself just to give myself time to think so i feel you.people are to scared to look within sometimes

dejanae said...

i can relate

dessex said...

This could be the start of something new. I am happy you had fun on your night out. Sometimes you just have to go out and do things on our own...it generally more fun that way anyway

StrongIsShe said...

i'm glad you had a great experience. i definitely am like that and i have to convince myself to go places (esp. parties) alone, but when i do, everything always turns out well

Unknown said...

coulda swore I left a comment... blogger is the worst... well... I said something like...my mind was in the gutter when I first read that title... but that's really good for you... I ain't gonna lie... you'd never catch the Cannon in the club alone... always gotta be deep... but anyway... this is good... I'm glad that you had a fun time...

James Tubman said...

glad you had a great time des

definately need to relax sometimes

Rashan Jamal said...

Glad you had fun! I go by myself to "adult" clubs, but I dont know if I would be brave enough to do it at a regular club.

1/3 said...

Sometimes going out by yourself can help you find out what you enjoy doing without the distraction of others. Im glad you enjoyed yourself tho lol

Charles said...

'you know we be up in da club like...'

For some reason that Marques Houston song jumped into my head. I don't do clubs...and if I attempted to do it dolo...I'd be in there for at the most like 5 minutes...or however long it would take me to order a cranberry and vodka...then roll out.

Glad you had fun though...maybe you should do that more often...

The Second Sixty-Eight said...

Glad you had fun then!

soumynona said...

I thought that was you over there, I just didnt want to seem bold. I had the single-malted scotch at the bar, Remember? Well you prob dont but its all good. Glad you had a good time =>

flawsandall said...

you and your misleading titles..you know wat was going on in mind yeah?

sometimes its good to let your hair down and have fun by yourself.I think its a good way to meet new people.compared to if you had your crew, you'll be secluded to them..
Sometimes going with people can be energy draining..I took some friends who were in town to dave and busters..and I felt like a cheer leader. I had to constantly hype them..*sigh*

Jinta said...

good for you. you didn't mention the name of the club. i've been to cairo's a few times and liked it

. said...

it's funny i was thinking something very similar the other day.
i have friends, but i don't feel as though i can just call them and be like, "hey, let's go paint the town red."

i've always been a little weary of going out on the town by myself, just insecure about how it will be perceived, but i am encouraged to know that it is ok and that fun can be had.

good for you love.
good for you!

. said...

it's funny i was thinking something very similar the other day.
i have friends, but i don't feel as though i can just call them and be like, "hey, let's go paint the town red."

i've always been a little weary of going out on the town by myself, just insecure about how it will be perceived, but i am encouraged to know that it is ok and that fun can be had.

good for you love.
good for you!

Desy said...

@jam- hahaha… it is nice most times… and that experience was no exception.. It was liberating

@n0- it's unfortunate because it really was a great time

@dej- word

@dessex- I always wonder about safety, but honestly, those guys cared a great deal about me and wanted to makes sure that I was safe… which is a s good as any friend I have now

@strong- I am just realizing that it is possible to be alone and still have a great time

@can- hahaha, blogger does play tricks… well, one day, I suggest you try it… you just might like it

@james- and those days will be more and more, thank God

@rah- i haven't gone to an 'adult' club by myself... but i'll look into it...lol

@1/3- I already know what I like… I'm VERY self aware… too much self analysis…lol… but I have never gotten the opportunity to Do things that I like alone… it was a great decision

@charles- clubs are for people who LIKE to dance…lol… and I already know u aren't about it

@68- me too!

@soumy- see… just like a man… sees what he likes but hangs back and watches without saying a word… next time; say hello…hahahaha

@zephi- gotta keep my fam guessing; yes… I am pretty loud so it is expected that I hype others, but I was definitely over it

@jintu- thanks… it was chillers and dragon room

@One- it IS ok… and you'll love it… trust me… let me know how it goes when u finally do… thanks for the praise hun… really appreciated